Pages: (4) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

2015 Hottest Redhead: Emma Stone, celebration & discussion
Red Gold
 Posted: Feb 1 2015, 05:16 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Friend of all redheads

Member No.: 28

The 2015 Hottest Redhead is: Emma Stone

user posted image

This bracket tells the whole story:
user posted image

And here are the brackets of our past tournaments:
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

Red Gold says: There is no such thing as redheaded women. There is only redheaded goddesses.
Red Gold says: Love isn't blind. Love is red.
PMEmail PosterAIM
Red Gold
 Posted: Feb 1 2015, 05:34 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Friend of all redheads

My thoughts on this & the whole tournament:

I think this tournament was very cool and full of surprises. It also was a big success for this forum.

- We have many new registrated forum members who got curious and dropped by to vote.
- We broke our participation record of most votes... twice!
- We had a very interesting list of 64 redhead celebs to begin with - many competing for the first time, but alot of them look promising and could do well in future tournaments.
- The last 2 rounds very really suspensful. I often checked the interim results: This could have gone either way.
- I am personally fine with Emma Stone winning this. I never expected her and Debbie Ann Woll to be the finalists. My money was on Amy Adams, Isla Fisher, Jessica Chastain and even Karen Gillan (to repeat). But this torny is an unpredictable beast and that's what makes it alot of fun.
- It was the first time we ever announced this thing on facebook.
- We visiually upgraded the whole process by using face shots.
- I think it went really smooth given that our administrator wasn't able to do much this year.

Now: Miss Stone has to prove she's worthy by winning the Oscar on February 22nd!

What do you guys think of all this?
Are you pleased?
Are you okay with the outcome?
What would you improve?
What would you change?
Would you exclude past winners in future competitions?
Who were your favorites to win?

Red Gold says: There is no such thing as redheaded women. There is only redheaded goddesses.
PMEmail PosterAIM
chazz
 Posted: Feb 1 2015, 07:10 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Redhead Addict

Member No.: 1

@Red Gold you did a fantastic job running this toournament. http://redheads.b1.jcink.com/uploads/redheads//post-22-1274316687.gif It was the most successful tourmament we've had. Credit also to The Stig for helping out as well. Thanks to everyone who has voted. To the new member who joined to vote, I do hope you'll stick around.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
mbanes3
 Posted: Feb 1 2015, 07:58 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

N/A

Member No.: 870

QUOTE (Red Gold @ Feb 1 2015, 10:34 AM)

Are you pleased?
Are you okay with the outcome?

I'm definitely okay with this result. Not necessarily my preferred outcome, since I voted Deborah Ann Woll in the final, but as I said in various rounds, there were a lot of tough votes (Karen Gillan vs. Emma Stone in the semi-finals, Laura Spencer vs. Deborah Ann Woll in the quarter finals and Emma Stone vs. Sophie Turner in the second round, for example)

What would you improve?
What would you change?

I wouldn't really attempt to exclude or change anything, really. I would be tempted to try something along the lines of a second round of voting within each group at each stage where the losers of each vote are paired off and can then go on to take part in the next stage of voting if they win.

CODE

A1-+
A2-+-A1-+
        +-A1-----------+
A3-+-A3-+              +-A1-+
A4-+                A8-+    |
                            |
A2 vs A4 -A4                |
                            +-A1-----------+
A5-+                        |              +-B1-+
A6-+-A5-+                   |           B1-+    |
       +-A5-----------+    |                   |
A7-+-A7-+              +-A4-+                   |
A8-+                A4-+                        |
                                                |
A6 vs A8 -A8                                    |
                    A5 vs. A8 -A5               |
                                                +-B1-----------+
B1-+                                            |              +-C4-+
B2-+-B1-+                                       |           C4-+    |
        +-B1-----------+                        |                   |
B3-+-B3-+              +-B8-+                   |                   |
B4-+                B8-+    |                   |                   |
                            |                   |                   |
B2 vs B4 -B4                |                   |                   |
                            +-B4-----------+    |                   |
B5-+                        |              +-B4-+                   |
B6-+-B5-+                   |           A5-+                        |
        +-B5-----------+    |                                       |
B7-+-B7-+              +-B4-+                                       |
B8-+                B4-+                                            |
                                                                    |
B6 vs B8 -B8                                                        |
                    B1 vs. B5 -B1                                   |
                                        A1 vs. A5 -A1               |
                                                                    +-A1---------+
C1-+                                                                |            +-A1
C2-+-C1-+                                                           |         C1-+
        +-C1-----------+                                            |
C3-+-C3-+              +-C1-+                                       |
C4-+                C8-+    |                                       |
                            |                                       |
C2 vs C4 -C4                |                                       |
                            +-C1-----------+                        |
C5-+                        |              +-C1-+                   |
C6-+-C5-+                   |           D4-+    |                   |
        +-C5-----------+    |                   |                   |
C7-+-C7-+              +-C5-+                   |                   |
C8-+                C4-+                        |                   |
                                                |                   |
C6 vs C8 -C8                                    |                   |
                    C4 vs. C8 -C4               |                   |
                                                +-C1-----------+    |
D1-+                                            |              +-A1-+
D2-+-D1-+                                       |           A1-+
        +-D1-----------+                        |
D3-+-D3-+              +-D8-+                   |
D4-+                D8-+    |                   |
                            |                   |
D2 vs D4 -D4                |                   |
                            +-D5-----------+    |
D5-+                        |              +-D5-+
D6-+-D5-+                   |           C4-+
        +-D5-----------+    |
D7-+-D7-+              +-D5-+
D8-+                D4-+

D6 vs D8 -D8
                    D1 vs. D4 -D4
                                        C4 vs. D4 -C4
                                                           B1 vs. C1 -C1

Effectively, what's happening here is that in the first stage, you vote between four pairs in four groups, as we currently do. You then vote between two pairs of losers from each group.

The four winners of each group then go on to play against each other, as they currently do in the system we used before, with the two resulting winners in each group going on to play the "winning loser" from the "opposite" half of the pool. You then vote between a single pair of losers from that round.

This process is then extended between two pools (A vs. B and C vs. D) all the way up to the final round.

It's definitely a more complicated process, but it allows each of the 64 entries a better chance of winning, having to compete twice to be eliminated at each stage and play against two opponents at each stage instead of just one.

In the example above, for example, C4 would have been eliminated within the very first round, but under this system goes on to first round of the final stage.

Would you exclude past winners in future competitions?

I don't think that's all that necessary. Despite having past tournaments that have included previous winners, no woman has ever won twice, despite being included in multiple tournaments. I think that's the advantage of the voting system, and the appearance of new members and the disappearance of old members. While the pools might stay the same, the criteria on which their ability to win or lose might change. If the pools are randomised, as well, then each stage could be very different from year to year.

Who were your favorites to win?

I was pretty sure Deborah Ann Woll, Emma Stone and Karen Gillan would get pretty far in the competition, but I was actually surprised how quickly Kari Byron was knocked out, given her apparent popularity on this forum.

I didn't expect Laura Spencer to do as well as she did, especially against former winner Molly Quinn and I think Sophie Turner being knocked out so early was a shame (although she immediately knocked out last year's winner Alicia Witt), but going up against Emma Stone, I had a lot of trouble deciding who to vote for myself.

A few others didn't do as well as I'd hoped, but I'm not unhappy with the end result smile.gif
PM
The Stig
 Posted: Feb 1 2015, 09:01 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

-Banned-

Member No.: 51

RedGold ran this whole thing, and he did an awesome job with it. So first..Thanks!

user posted image
In a world without walls or fences,who needs Gates or Windows?
PMUsers Website
Red Gold
 Posted: Feb 1 2015, 09:02 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Friend of all redheads

@mbanes3:
Thanks for your comment. You really put alot of thought into this. But I gotta say: Your version of the torny sounds very complicated. It should stay a clear K.O. tournament, because it's already enough work the way it is. We (the moderators) were once toying around with the idea of doing a 128 redheads one, but that's just a galactic amount of work with 8 pools and so on...

I never understood why Kari Byron is doing so bad in the annual competition either. It just doesn't make any sense. Her thread gets the most posts and visits around here. She should have the biggest fanbase. Therefore it should be a walk in the park for here - but it isn't. She always chokes in round #2. blink.gif

And this year I was really shocked about Alicia Witt, Jessica Chastain, Paige Madden (current Miss West Virginia), Julianne Moore & Simone Simons getting the boot in round #1. mad.gif

But that's the way it is.

And the field of voters slightly changing every year (old members disapper, new ones come in) might actually be the reason why no celeb could win this thing twice so far. Also: actresses become more (in)active, TV shows get cancelled, names become less household, etc.

PMEmail PosterAIM
mbanes3
 Posted: Feb 1 2015, 09:55 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

N/A

QUOTE (Red Gold @ Feb 1 2015, 02:02 PM)
@mbanes3:
Thanks for your comment. You really put alot of thought into this. But I gotta say: Your version of the torny sounds very complicated. It should stay a clear K.O. tournament, because it's already enough work the way it is. We (the moderators) were once toying around with the idea of doing a 128 redheads one, but that's just a galactic amount of work with 8 pools and so on...

Oh god, no, there's no way I'd expect anything more complicated than what we have to be implemented on here. Coming up with that suggestion and then trying to represent it was already hard enough.

I mean, on top of what you already have to do, you with getting together the 64 participants, setting up the pools, setting up the threads and then getting together all the votes (and potentially breaking ties), you'd have to have consolation rounds at each stage as well, which means setting up more threads, collecting together more votes and then pairing off each person in the right order. And then you'd have to do that something like five times.

The current system is definitely the easiest way of doing it given how much work you already have to do, I just let my mind wander for a bit, which is never a good idea tongue.gif

I never understood why Kari Byron is doing so bad in the annual competition either. It just doesn't make any sense. Her thread gets the most posts and visits around here. She should have the biggest fanbase. Therefore it should be a walk in the park for here - but it isn't. She always chokes in round #2. blink.gif

Yeah, it's pretty hard to figure that one out. I wonder if Kari Byron has more of a "vocal minority"-like fanbase but, amongst less active users, she's not an overall favourite. It might explain why she keeps getting knocked out so early.

She might even have plain bad luck. When she's won, she gets between around 60-75% of the vote, but when she loses, she's always lost with 46% of the vote except when she went up against Karen Gillan (who won in 2011) in 2012's second round where she lost by 10 votes to 6 (38% of the vote). Barring this year, and the 2011, when she does get to the second round, she's always faced a previous winner and I suspect her 2013 first year knock-out may have something to do with her going up against someone you can quite easily view naked.

And this year I was really shocked about Alicia Witt, Jessica Chastain, Paige Madden (current Miss West Virginia), Julianne Moore & Simone Simons getting the boot in round #1. mad.gif

But that's the way it is.

Yeah, Simone Simons being knocked out so early on was quite a shock, especially given how well she'd done last year. Same for Alicia Witt, who won the whole tournament last year, although a loss to Sophie Turner can hardly be seen as a horrifying loss. Julianne Moore lost to Alicia Witt last year, so I didn't really have expectations one way or the other with her, and the same for Paige Madden who wasn't in last year's tournament at all. Jessica Chastain, on the other hand, was knocked out of the first round this year and last year, so I didn't really expect her to do all that well.

And the field of voters slightly changing every year (old members disapper, new ones come in) might actually be the reason why no celeb could win this thing twice so far. Also: actresses become more (in)active, TV shows get cancelled, names become less household, etc.

I think that's probably about right. Most of the 64 people on this year's list, I'd never heard of before, or possibly only come across a handful of times. Hell, of the people who've won, I;ve only heard of Karen Gillan (Doctor Who), Molly Quinn (Castle) and Emma Stone (more films than I can name).

And, of course, different people have different preferences and different reasons for voting. Kari Byron is huge on the board and Simone Simons is quite well known in Metal circles, but if you're voting for who you know and watch a lot of Game of Thrones instead, you might vote differently.
PM
AdmireDAW
 Posted: Feb 1 2015, 10:07 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

N/A

Member No.: 1009

DAW - Emma Stone 28:30 sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

Maybe next year. wub.gif
PMEmail Poster
The Stig
 Posted: Feb 1 2015, 10:12 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

-Banned-

Member No.: 51

A lot of people won't vote for Kari simply because she gets her red from a bottle.

One thing we have discussed is the idea of retiring previous winners from future WHRH.
What do ya'll think about that.

user posted image
In a world without walls or fences,who needs Gates or Windows?
PMUsers Website
gargravarr
 Posted: Feb 1 2015, 10:41 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

I see red I see red I see red

Member No.: 83

Thanks guys for another great tournament. Emma is a worthy winner, though her appeal for me is not consistent. I think it depends on the roles I see her in, maybe.

I love red hair. But I otherwise hate the colour - won't wear it, wouldn't drive a red car. Weird, huh.
PM
mbanes3
 Posted: Feb 1 2015, 10:44 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

N/A

QUOTE (The Stig @ Feb 1 2015, 03:12 PM)
A lot of people won't vote for Kari simply because she gets her red from a bottle.

And yet the same is true of this year's tournament winner, Emma Stone, who's a natural blonde.

QUOTE (The Stig @ Feb 1 2015, 03:12 PM)
One thing we have discussed is the idea of retiring previous winners from future WHRH.
What do ya'll think about that.

As I've mentioned above, I don't think it's all that necessary. Alicia Witt went from 2014's winner to a first round loser, Barbara Meier lost in the second round, Molly Quinn lost in the third and Karen Gillan lost in round four, and two of those lost by more than 5 votes.

I think the differences in lists, the randomisation of pools and changing of membership and voters might be enough to not have to come up with a rule explicitly removing previous winners from the subsequent tournaments.

Now, what I find really interesting is "missing votes". In the first round, for example, the number of votes per pool were 16, 15, 17, 16. The second round was even more varied, even within pools.

Pool A had 30 votes per pairing except for one which received just 17 votes. Pool B had the exactly the same pattern while Pools C and Pool D received 31 votes in each pairing consistently.

Later rounds are more consistent, but there's still an issue with uneven voting (21, 20, 20 and 20 in round 3, 18, 17, 18, 18 in round 4, 26 in both pools for the semi-finals and 38 for the final).

I'm not sure if this is an issue for anyone else or not, since there isn't a rule saying that if you vote in one part of a given round, you have to vote for all other pairings, and likewise that you have to vote in each round of the game, but the numbers are definitely uneven early on in the tournament.
PM
Red Gold
 Posted: Feb 1 2015, 11:03 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Friend of all redheads

QUOTE (mbanes3 @ Feb 1 2015, 04:44 PM)

And yet the same is true of this year's tournament winner, Emma Stone, who's a natural blonde.

I honestly can't believe that. Her blonde hair looks far more phoney than her red hair. Blonde doesn't fit her eyes, her skin tone, etc.

QUOTE (mbanes3 @ Feb 1 2015, 04:44 PM)
Now, what I find really interesting is "missing votes". In the first round, for example, the number of votes per pool were 16, 15, 17, 16. The second round was even more varied, even within pools.

Pool A had 30 votes per pairing except for one which received just 17 votes. Pool B had the exactly the same pattern while Pools C and Pool D received 31 votes in each pairing consistently.

Later rounds are more consistent, but there's still an issue with uneven voting (21, 20, 20 and 20 in round 3, 18, 17, 18, 18 in round 4, 26 in both pools for the semi-finals and 38 for the final).

I'm not sure if this is an issue for anyone else or not, since there isn't a rule saying that if you vote in one part of a given round, you have to vote for all other pairings, and likewise that you have to vote in each round of the game, but the numbers are definitely uneven early on in the tournament.

I have explanations for this:
- In round #1 alot of the mass mails sent out by chazz didn't arrive the members on time. Alot were complaining they hadn't even realized the torny had already started. Gives you a clue that not enough members visit this forum on a daily basis. Also: This is an annual thing, held every January - so they should have known. But 16 or 17 votes seems to be the right amount we usually get.
- In round #2 there was an explosion of votes because of facebook announcements & mass mails now arriving. We broke our own record.
- Pairings only getting 17 votes while others get 30: those were the tie breakers. Laura Spencer vs. Melissa Archer and Barbara Meier vs. Evan Rachel Wood were both originally 15:15 results, thus the tie breaker extra round. It was open for only 48 hours, therefore we had less votes and people probably didn't care as much since they had already voted for these matches. And I don't mention ties in the final bracket graphic, just clear results.
- In round #3 we got less votes again, probably because people on fb or new to this forum didn't understand the tournament concept of several rounds.
- In the end the number of votes rised again (as expected), cos now it really ment something.

PMEmail PosterAIM
mbanes3
 Posted: Feb 1 2015, 11:12 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

N/A

QUOTE (Red Gold @ Feb 1 2015, 04:03 PM)

I honestly can't believe that. Her blonde hair looks far more phoney than her red hair. Blonde doesn't fit her eyes, her skin tone, etc.

Apparently it's true. She did an interview back in 2010 in the lead up to the Amazing Spider-Man where she said she was a natural blonde:

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/11/24/spide...one-gwen-stacy/

However, I think her most recent blonde, given the fact she seemingly switches between blonde and redhead every few months, is probably dyed, rather than her natural blonde.

She initially dyed her hair dark brown back in 2004 before dying it red at the behest of Judd Apatow in 2007 for Superbad. It then went back to dark brown in 2009 for Zombieland, red again for 2010's Easy A, remaining red in 2011 for The Help and Crazy, Stupid, Love (although it was darker in the latter) and then blonde for the Amazing Spider-Man in 2012.

QUOTE (Red Gold @ Feb 1 2015, 04:03 PM)

I have explanations for this:
- In round #1 alot of the mass mails sent out by chazz didn't arrive the members on time. Alot were complaining they hadn't even realized the torny had already started. Gives you a clue that not enough members visit this forum on a daily basis. Also: This is an annual thing, held every January - so they should have known. But 16 or 17 votes seems to be the right amount we usually get.
- In round #2 there was an explosion of votes because of facebook announcements & mass mails now arriving. We broke our own record.
- Pairings only getting 17 votes while others get 30: those were the tie breakers. Laura Spencer vs. Melissa Archer and Barbara Meier vs. Evan Rachel Wood were both originally 15:15 results, thus the tie breaker extra round. It was open for only 48 hours, therefore we had less votes and people probably didn't care as much since they had already voted for these matches. And I don't mention ties in the final bracket graphic, just clear results.
- In round #3 we got less votes again, probably because people on fb or new to this forum didn't understand the tournament concept of several rounds.
- In the end the number of votes rised again (as expected), cos now it really ment something.

I completely forgot about the tie-break rounds tongue.gif In that case, there's not all that much of an issue with voting. As you said, the difference between rounds could just be down to announcements, confusion over when the tournament started and how it worked, and due to the importance of the final rounds.
PM
Gulftastic
 Posted: Feb 1 2015, 12:35 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

N/A

Member No.: 22

Close run thing. Emma wasn't my choice, but it's hard to complain. She's gorgeous.

Thanks for the hard work.

CHAMPIONS.

Yet again!

PM
redlove
 Posted: Feb 1 2015, 05:13 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

N/A

Member No.: 524

1st round 14;2
2nd round 16:15
3rd round 17:3
4th round 10:8
5th round 14:12
final 20:18

Kinda mad the way the amount of members voting varies so much round to round. Her second round was the closest lol!
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Hottest Redhead 2015 | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Pages: (4) 1 2 3 ... Last »
Add ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Skins in 32 languages by Ginette @ Mondial Skins