Add ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

Question about a potential feature
chazz
 Posted: Sep 14 2010, 04:48 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Redhead Addict

Member No.: 1

What are everyones' thoughts on having a "like" "dislike" feature for every post?

http://support.b1.jcink.com/index.php?show...533;entry129256
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
chazz
 Posted: Sep 18 2010, 08:37 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Redhead Addict

Looks like not much interest though if Jcink does add this I'm going to activate it on this forum and see how it goes. I've seen this feature on other forums and it seems to work out nicely.
Ellisdee
 Posted: Oct 4 2010, 03:12 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Erin Chambers Maniac

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (chazz @ Sep 14 2010, 10:45 PM)
What are everyones' thoughts on having a "like" "dislike" feature for every post?

I would vote for this if jcink got around to doing it. Not sure if I would have the "dislike feature though". Perhaps if every like you got it would up your post count by 5 or give you vip status or something, like a reward feature.
PMEmail Poster
chazz
 Posted: Oct 4 2010, 04:18 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Redhead Addict

QUOTE (Ellisdee @ Oct 4 2010, 04:09 PM)
I would vote for this if jcink got around to doing it. Not sure if I would have the "dislike feature though". Perhaps if every like you got it would up your post count by 5 or give you vip status or something, like a reward feature.

I think someone brought that up in the thread about leaving out the "dislike" part. I'm sure Jcink will come up with something workable when he gets around to it.
Ellisdee
 Posted: Oct 4 2010, 04:24 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Erin Chambers Maniac

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (chazz @ Oct 4 2010, 10:15 PM)
I think someone brought that up in the thread about leaving out the "dislike" part. I'm sure Jcink will come up with something workable when he gets around to it.

I didnt read all the thread, but It wouldnt hurt to have it.
PMEmail Poster
wateradept24
 Posted: Oct 4 2010, 06:23 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Web Design/Tech Support

Member No.: 27

From what I understood, if/when he adds this, it will adjust a reputation counter depending on how many likes you have gotten combined (like 5 or 10 "likes" ups the reputation counter, dislikes decrease the counter, etc.)

I play Magic: the Gathering. I also have a website about it.

user posted image
user posted image
chazz
 Posted: Jul 6 2012, 05:17 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Redhead Addict

This feature has been promised for awhile. I'm hoping this feature gets done soon. It would be perfect for this forum.
Tuoni
 Posted: Jul 7 2012, 06:13 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Penchant For Freckled Redheads

Member No.: 505

QUOTE (chazz @ Sep 14 2010, 11:48 PM)
What are everyones'  thoughts on having a "like" "dislike" feature for every post?

I'm totally against it.
I have seen more then one forum/community being totally destroyed because of similar "features".
I really don't want to see it on RGF. This is a very nice place right now as it is don't throw this all away for those "features".

Just my €0.02
PM
chazz
 Posted: Jul 7 2012, 06:29 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Redhead Addict

QUOTE (Tuoni @ Jul 7 2012, 07:13 PM)

I'm totally against it.
I have seen more then one forum/community being totally destroyed because of similar "features".
I really don't want to see it on RGF. This is a very nice place right now as it is don't throw this all away for those "features".

Just my €0.02

Maybe you have this confused with the reputation system where a member is given points. I'm against that as I've seen that lead to trouble on forums I've been a member of. That's why I haven't enabled this here.

Here's how I envision this. I would probably not allow a "dislike" button and change the "like" button to a "thanks" button. Remember this would be liking a post. So If someone posts some really nice pics, I can just hit the "thanks" button. Jcink mentioned that he would streamline this so it's not all clunky looking and won't interfere with viewing threads or posts. Also this will have nothing to do with facebook. It's strictly for individual posts on this forum and won't be connected with facebook in anyway.

It would look something like this:

user posted image

If you click on the "42" number in the bottom left hand corner you would see a list of who "liked" or "thanked" a member for their post.

It would be a nice way to thank you guys who post photos on here. Also from my understanding I would be able to control which forums have that feature. I'd probably limit it to the main photo forums. However if most of the members here are against something like this I'll consider not adding it.
Shimmer
 Posted: Jul 8 2012, 02:46 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

N/A

Member No.: 9

I'd rather write a line or two thanking a member for their work posting photos than just hit a like button.

On a related note, thank you to all who have been posting photos lately, sorry I haven't been contributing much myself, my PC which had the scanner and TV capture card attached literally blew up on me.

PM
chazz
 Posted: Jul 8 2012, 02:58 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Redhead Addict

QUOTE (Shimmer @ Jul 8 2012, 03:46 AM)
I'd rather write a line or two thanking a member for their work posting photos than just hit a like button.

Some people are just more comfortable hitting the "like" or "thanks" button, especially those used to YouTube. I view the "like" feature as a way to encourage more members to participate and a way to encourage more posting. All this is rather preliminary as jcink has not made any posts saying when this would be implemented and even when he does start it, it's going to take awhile because I imagine there's going to be a lot of coding involved as well as a new server to store the "like" information on posts.

Sorry about your computer troubles Shimmer. Just logging in and checking out the forum daily is contributing. It's nice to see that's there's interest even if a post isn't made.

I also very much appreciate those who have been uploading pics. I won't name names because I don't want to forget anyone and offend them but you guys and gals know who you are. http://redheads.b1.jcink.com/uploads/redheads//post-22-1274316687.gif
Tuoni
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 04:52 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

QUOTE (chazz @ Jul 8 2012, 01:29 AM)

Maybe you have this confused with the reputation system where a member is given points.   I'm against that as I've seen that lead to trouble on forums I've been a member of.  That's why I haven't enabled this here. 

Here's how I envision this.  I would probably not allow a "dislike" button and change the "like" button to a "thanks" button.  Remember this would be liking a post.  So If someone posts some really nice pics, I can just hit the "thanks" button.   Jcink mentioned that he would streamline this so it's not all clunky looking and won't interfere with viewing threads or posts. Also this will have nothing to do with facebook.  It's strictly for individual posts on this forum and won't be connected with facebook in anyway. 

It would look something like this:

user posted image

If you click on the "42" number in the bottom left hand corner you would see a list of who "liked" or "thanked" a member for their post.

It would be a nice way to thank you guys who post photos on here.   Also from my understanding I would be able to control which forums have that feature.   I'd probably limit it to the main photo forums.  However if most of the members here are against something like this I'll consider not adding it.

I get the idea but to me it's still a form of ego boosting / epenis behavior.
There will be people who can not deal with the fact that their post got only X amount of "thanks" while a post which is lesser in their mind gets more "thanks" which will create tension sooner or later.
I think this place is awesome and got a great fibe on its own. This place doesn't have anything to gain from things like this only to lose.
The ability to set one post above the rest in which ever way always did and always will create unwanted tension.
PM
chazz
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 05:37 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Redhead Addict

QUOTE (Tuoni @ Jul 11 2012, 05:52 PM)

I get the idea but to me it's still a form of ego boosting / epenis behavior.
There will be people who can not deal with the fact that their post got only X amount of "thanks" while a post which is lesser in their mind gets more "thanks" which will create tension sooner or later.
I think this place is awesome and got a great fibe on its own. This place doesn't have anything to gain from things like this only to lose.
The ability to set one post above the rest in which ever way always did and always will create unwanted tension.

I can appreciate what you're saying. I just don't think we have the type of members that would misuse this feature. To be honest I've been bugging Jcink to implement this ever since he first posted about it at the support forum. Not so I could use it to pat myself on the back but as another way to thank all the members here who post pics. Most likely I'd end up "liking" everyones posts.

Sometimes I just don't have the time to make a reply post thanking everyone who posts photos, videos, links, or screencaps and I feel bad about that. This would be a much quicker way for me to do that. Also some members post multiple times daily in the same thread so it would be easier for them to know their posts are appreciated by viewing who "liked" their posts rather than me thanking them after every single post in a thread.

In the end if it means It'll cost me valuable members like you and Shimmer then I won't enable it on the forum. I would like to see how much control Jcink gives admins over this. I doubt this will even be added this year as it was proposed 2 years ago and hasn't even been worked on yet though it's a frequently requested feature at the support forum. Maybe if I like what jcink does with this when he gets around to working on it we can have it on a trial basis. http://redheads.b1.jcink.com/uploads/redheads//post-22-1280095565.gif
Tuoni
 Posted: Jul 12 2012, 05:31 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Don't worry, you won't get rid of me that easily http://redheads.b1.jcink.com/uploads/redheads//post-22-1274316868.gif
I post on this forum because i like to share my interest in redheads with others and i will not demand/expect recognition or appreciation in any way, that's simply not the reason why i post. But there will be people sooner or later that kinda expect to be "appreciated" by expecting a high thanks number for their posts.
Personally i prefer not but if it foes get implemented i think it will be a good idea to keep a close look at it and (try to) take any tension out of the air before it can escalate.
PM
Shimmer
 Posted: Jul 13 2012, 11:56 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

N/A

Member No.: 9

Ditto what Tuoni said, it's not going to lead to me quitting the forum, I just don't think we need it.

There are plenty of sites out there that have this feature already, why copy them? Part of what I like about this forum is its uniqueness.

PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Questions & Comments | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Add ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Skins in 32 languages by Ginette @ Mondial Skins